Saturday, July 01, 2006

July 1st- afternoon

I spent $26 at the T&T. What did I purchase?
8 books- 1 is a HUGE coffee table book about the last Tzar and Tzarina- that will go in someone's Christmas gift
handheld gameboy- for sister- she will reimburse me - for some reason she has become interested in video games as an adult- hey, if it makes her happy.
1 pair black jeans brand new for me.
10 pairs of jeans for my little sister ( she will reimburse me $1 for each pair that fits)
cake decorating items - 12 pastry bags, close to 250 new birthday candles, word stenciling kit for messages on cakes. ( I can use these to create bakery quality cakes for very little cost.)
200 ct muffin cup liners- muffins are a healthy inexpensive breakfast
4 brand new oven mitts- look like the one in the Arby's commercial - 2 of them are gift basket item for one sister. She will love them and I know she can use them.
1 ultra expensive twin sweater set ( still .50)
1 very nice long black skirt
1 red sweater
1 energy saver lighbulb- new in the package- Halogen? not sure but I love buying these at steep discounts. They last longer and cost less to operate. Gotta love that.
1 polar fleece vest- reversible red/black
1 large fluffy terrycloth robe for my sister- I have been singing the virtues of a comfy terry robe. I got her one to try. She will reimburse me.

So out of $26- my sister will reimburse me up to $15. Any jeans she does not want I can easily sell for $5 each. The cake decorating supplies were a package deal and any I do not need I can sell easily. I think I did well for $11. Out of what I can sell and what I get reimbursed, I should have no out of pocket expenses for today's purchases. The only down side is that I have spent $84 so far that could have gone for Stupid Debt. I am not beating myself up because each purchase has actually been an investment with a decent payoff.

Most purchases I consider investments. HOW? Well, I invest .50 for each item of clothing. The return is a very nice work and casual wardrobe for approximately $45 that will last me through this time next year. I conservatively estimate the value of the return to to be $250. I would not have purchased as many items- but I know I can find great sales and discounts at dept. stores and thrifts so I will leave the estimate at $250. That is a return of 500% If my rounded up figures are correct. I can't guaranty that on many investments.

I have more than I would have purchased in stores and still came in WAY under budget. I will be able to spend more on unmentionables.

As for shoes I have been set for quite some time since the first of the year. I love buying shoes and any pair I like that is marked down for clearance or even better clearanced clearance and final clearance I buy as long as that price is under $5. I have even purchased some expensive shoes for as little as $3. I wear them very rarely, but they are lovely and for special occassions.

Yes, ladies if you are vigilant and have a great place to buy shoes you can find stunning shoes under $10. I work at keeping my shoes in good shape. Just because I run into great sales from time to time and will stock up, does not mean I throw them away headlessly. The longer they stay in good shape, the longer I can wear them and hold out til the next amazing sale comes up

Most of the items are excellent quality and will pay an addition return of respect and some admiration for my taste and discernment. We sometimes try to pretend that those things do not matter but it is true that people judge us by appearance. Looking attractive at work has its own return. I am not a slave to fashion but I do try to keep in mind the benefits of wearing better clothes.

The gift items, I have purchased so far, fair equally as well. I know what I would have budgeted. I know what I have spent on purchases so far. The difference is exceptional. I also know they will be very much appreciated. I was actually able to buy my sisters better and more useful gifts than if I had taken what I had budgeted and went to department or specialty stores. My sisters appreciate a truly good bargain. They are aware of where the gifts come from and look forward to receiving them.We all win.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated my networth today. It looks like a more dramatic increase then I feel is accurate. I messed up on my initial entry for June and I am not sure how to correct it.
I did increase my total EF by $420 and decreased my debt by $2700. the breakdown on debt decrease is: $440 decrease in CC debt, $2000 reduction in Stupid Debt due to discovering I had paid more than I thought and $100 decrease in mortgage debt. Hmmm... I guess there has been that dramatic an increase in my net worth. GO ME!

Net Worth History Chart

I have also made the decision to reduce my belongings considerably. This time next year, I want to be living in a less expensive residence. I am toying with the idea of living off half of my income. I know I am inteligent enough to reduce spending considerably through being resourceful. I also like the idea of needing less to live on should something happen. it would also better prepare me in the event I need to take a leave of abscence in order to finish my Master's degree.

I have a 3months internship before graduation. My plan is to negotiate an extended internship. This means I would work part time at the internship and full to almost full time at work. I know it can be done and I have at least one connection on the board possibly two. It will cost me more initially,as they charge the tuition for each semester you are interning. An extended internship would allow me to keep my job and the benefits including my 401K and health insurance which they pay. I want to keep all benefits rolling along, not to mention my paycheck.
I could remain full time by saving my paid time off and using one day a week during the internship. This would give me more time for the unpaid internship. I could also schedule one workday a week on the weekends. that would give another day during the week toward the unpaid internship. That alone is 16 hrs a week. We are supposed to work 32 hours a week at the unpaid internship. By continuing to build up a positive work performance and exceptional time management skills I would be in a better position to bargain with my boss.

My plan also includes locating an internship with regular operating hours that extend into the evening or weekends. Not entirely unreasonable considering the number of non-profits in this city. With the right internship, I could possibly get away with not altering my regular paid work schedule at all. This would still include completing an extended internship as I want to guard against overloading myself. If I can't handle either or both it could cost me even more in the long run.

There is still a lot of time before I will need to complete the internship. I like to be prepared and have back up plans. Options are good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home