Saturday, June 24, 2006

By Jinkies this is working!

I have noticed an increased awarenes of spending and saving. it hasn't been perfect or even well-honed but it has increased. I have noticed that I have been able to walk away from more purchases than in the past. I've been more aware of the trade off of purchases or incurred expenses and I have been preparing myself to earn more money.

I have fallen short and consumed more meals away from home. I have been improving again slightly as I realize the compounded effect it has on my goals.

This has had an effect on my thought process. I find myself taking the time to plan and prepare. I even filled a few empty blastic bottles for ice packs/cold water in my lunch bag. I've been mentally savoring more home prepared items . I have made deciscions to NOT buy items I "needed." Instead, I have been making due and noticing ways I could make do in the future.

Take my desire for a new wardrobe. I decided not to work so hard to set funds aside for these purchases. How is that going to get me ahead? Good question. I plan to take those funds and efforts and reallocate them toward eradicating my Stupid Debt. That is my next goal as I have finised my baby EF.

I decided I do not need as many outfits as I thought for my current size. I realized that by planning my work week so that I am out of the office all day one or two days a week, I can wear the same outfits or particular clothing item more than once in a week. Of course they will be cleaned between wearings. I am considering selling some of the larger sizes at an upcoming YS. Every little bit helps as I knock down the SD monster of $5000.

Take a really great pair of black pants I own that look good with about four blouses. I can wear them on my Monday in the office day. Then Wednesday I can wear them with a different top and be in the field all day. Come Friday, I could theoretically wear them again with a different top. I really want to wear them out as much as I can before I can no longer wear them.

I doubt I will go so far as to wear them 3 times each week, but using this same principle with other items will stretch what I have allowing me to save a few items I have been wearing that are a bit snug until I am a smaller size. then instead of wearing them out now, they will be available to wear when they are in fact more flattering. I can also wear less flattering outfits when I am on all day junkets in the country.

I also picked up 3 outfits at a yard sale for $1 each. Three outfits for $3! That is over half my week right there and they are cute too. They are two sizes too small right now. With my current limited clothing choices, I find myself working harder to drop into the next lower size. When I am tempted by a soda ( empty calories) or a unhealthy meal choice, I realize that not only does it cost me for the food, it cost me more in my wardrobe budget. I want cute clothes so this inspires me to save. I also find myself more willing to walk a few blocks as it takes me a little closer to a better wardrobe down the road. All the while remembering every dollar not spent is available for debt repayment.

I believe this blog is assisting me if in no other way than I am more aware of the choices I make. To quote a very wealthy woman, "That's a good thing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home