Saturday, June 10, 2006

Ouch!
I was supposed to visit my sister this weekend. Since I have been procrastinating, I need to be home in order to complete the tasks that really need addressing, namely paperwork from my job that is ovedue and absolutely without a doubt MUST be turned in Monday morning. Procrastination has been a real problem the last few years. I don't have the motivation I used to have. And now I feel guilty because she was looking forward to my visit. She is extremely disappointed and hurt.And this is not the first time I have been guilty of this same offense. This is ultimately my fault because I have been slacking. I was aware I was supposed to visit. I knew what I needed to get done. I did not get it done, period.
What makes it worse is that she went on her own time this week to complete some chores at my house nearby. The house is up for sale and I was going to need to do some things out there this weekend. How ungrateful of me to blow the time we could have spent together having fun.
Here is where I currently stand:
  • I wasted all the time I had to complete my duties.
  • I still need to complete my duties
  • I dissapointed my family and hurt my sister's feelings.
  • I went back on word to my family. ( hanging my head)
  • I took another step toward being unreliable. ( this hurts almost as much as hurting my sister)
  • I am taking steps backwards from being a self actualized adult.
  • I am reinforcing bad habits that lead to further downfall
  • When I wate time- I also waste money and other resources
  • Basicly, I suck as a person.

Instead of whining, I need to take action. I am currently listing the tasks I need to accomplish. I will be working on these throughuot the day. I will NOT go to sleep ( or watch my only tv show- ER back to back at 10:35 and 11:35- those that know me, know this means I am seriously punishing myself) until I finish each and every task listed. I will then get a decent night's sleep. Get up, go to church, take a peace offering to little sister and spend rest of day with her. Piddly I know, but a step forward.

Why did I publish my short comings? To give myself a little kick in the pants. If I plan on making something of myself, I will have to break these horrid habits. Wasting time, staying up late, breaking promises to myself and others, and destroying my self discipline not only hurt my relationships, they have an impact on my work, self esteem and ultimately my future.

Just breaking the procrastination habit would :

  • make me more productive at work, increasing my worth at work and hopefully increasing my earnings- At the very least it would increase my job security.
  • give me more time for enjoyment,
  • give me more time to manage my money effectively
  • allow me time to generate more money
  • save me money by allowing me more time to do things myself
  • improve my self image
  • boost my productivity all around
  • eliminate A LOT of stress in my life

As a matter of fact, I can not think of a single con related to eliminating procrastination.

So far, I have made my essential and nonessential list of tasks for the day, and I have marked one thing off already. Excuse me while I go do something productive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home