Sunday, July 16, 2006

Discovery - Value of Contentment

I thought I was good to go. I did not think my "wants" were out of line. Recently, I have discovered a few things. Maybe I should say I have re-evaluated my goals.

I discovered I do not "need" new silverware. What I currently own is somewhat mis-matched. There is not a complete set of 8 settings. What I do have is a mostly matched set and a few odd ones.

Problem? I thought so and had it on my wish list. Then I realized that for the most part, I only cook for myself and a few friends. They don't care as long as the food is good. When I have a more formal meal I can just break out grandma's silver. It is beautiful and should be used. Besides, it is not like I am saving it to take with me so I can return it. I'm sure she has no need for her old silver in the after-life.

I don't have a complete set of matching glasses. I have a few sets and several odd ones. Again, if I need a matched set, I can break out the other grandma's set she left me. I really like them too. I have received many compliments on them over the years.

New towels? They would be nice but if I have picky company I can leave out the matched set and put away the others. I have this thing about old towels. I like them because they are soft and broke in. I will use a towel until is so threadbare it starts to disintegrate. Then it becomes a cleaning towel. I'll even wash them. If I have a really nasty mess, I don't feel bad about finally throwing it away. It is not like I have no presentable towels. I just don't NEED them right now.

Clothes- (I know, you guys and gals have heard enough about my wardrobe woes.)

I could definitely use new clothes. Luckily, I work in a casual dress environment. I pulled together as many outfits as I could from what I have in my size. I discovered that while I may not like all of my choices. I definitely have choices. The fact that they are in good condition and PAID for makes them more palatable. In fact it makes me almost love them.

I have become more creative in my work wardrobe. I can optionally work out of the office all day and have all day office days. On the days I work completely out of the office, I tend to wear my less than impressive outfits. I can alternately wear the same outfit or its components more than once a week ( i.e. my favorite khakis). I can wear then on a in-the-office day and then again on an out-of-the-office day.

Since my clients are simple people and my work speaks for itself. There is no need to try and impress them with my fashion sense. In fact if I dressed up to much they would see me more as the "college girl" thinking I know more than them and that I rely solely on "book learning."
My more simple clothing choices assist me with fitting in. For my more sophisticated clients, they just like me or don't based on my performance. This is a good thing. I do plan to upgrade my wardrobe as I go. Currently I am ok in the wardrobe department.

I am also fortunate in that many of my coworkers bring their own lunch and are penny pinching along with me. A few of them PP out of need. I PP out of need and desire.

My PP ways paid off just this week. I had to replace a stolen laptop that was in my possesion when it disappeared. As much as I hated losing the nearly $800. At least I was able to do so without being put in a bind.

Auto- I have two cars by choice. I choose to own two paid off cars because it is important to me to have a back up. I also like the options the two cars give me. One is sporty and one is utlitarian. Both run well, are dependable and have no payments. Both were also purchased as very good deals.

I would like a new car. I keep coming back to the point I have no need for a new car. I have attractive and I have functional. I plan to drive both for at least 5 more years.

That brings me to another decision. The funtional vehicle is not getting the mpg it should. I have known it needed a few repairs ( o2 sensor and some outlet issue) and a tune up. I put them off due to cost. I have been driving the cute car.

I made the decision to go ahead and repair and tune up the funtional car. This will allow me to put the majority of my mileage on the functional car and spare the cute car. In fact before the other car's mpg declined from 34.6 mpg to less than 20 mpg it was beating the cute car.

The plan is to have the damage recently inflicted on cute car repaired, spruce it up and use it for recreational driving only. I was going to wait but I realized that all these work miles are killing my plan to wait 5 years for a new car and pay cash.

Besides, I was puttng almost no miles on the functional car. It was just sitting there. This way with a moderate investment, I can extend the life of the more attractive car. This would be more financially prudent. Another plus, I really like the cute car but will not be buying another small convertable. This way I can enjoy it longer before I give in completely to "oldattude." EEEK

1 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home