Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Day 10- Tuesday's post

I did well , I went out to dinner with the girls for dinner and spent less than $7 for dinner. I'm impressed with my own progress. I still have money left over this month to eat out or apply toward debt.

Just received, my J.Peterman catalogue. I am inspired by this piece of mail. Some of it is just crap to sell and some of it is timeless classics. I enjoy looking at timeless classics


Although I am more likely to wear this 1930's Silk Crepe de Chine Dress . I like the cut of this skirt but not the print or color choices, Left-Bank Gypsy Skirt - The J. Peterman Company . Unfortunately, I do not like the price of either one.

Fortunately, I own a sewing machine and have access to fabric. I am looking into duplicating the skirt.

That is one of the things I do to save money. I keep up with fashion ( sort of), sift through for what would be appropriate for me and either copy it personally or find a well made and affordable similiar item.

I am aware that for some items only an original will cut it. But I keep an eye out and over the years have developed an eye for what I can copy.

Some of my best copies have been food items. I can duplicate an expensive cake and decorate it myself. Often it is better than what I can buy at an expensive bakery.

I have also duplicated extemely expensive but simple drapes. When I say simple I mean s-i-m-p-l-e as in plain panels but in a rich fabric I paid $1 a yard for ( total $10) and when I say expensive, I mean $400 minimum. I like mine better and I think the fabric is a better choice also.

What have you copied for great savings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home